Thursday, February 17, 2022

The Voice of Jamila Parker...

"I am a woman. I am a Revolutionary African American woman. I stand for change. In order for me to make change, I first am going to make a change in myself. I am committed to the making a change in the way I speak to my family and the way I love my family. I am going to love them in the way I want to love them. I am going to love them better. I am going to start speaking clearly, so people can understand me. That is a very important aspect of being a Revolutionary leader."

Excerpt from Voices of Brotherhood/Sister Sol, by Jamila Parker, the Liberation Program (2003) 

Edited by Khary Lazarre-White

Voices is a collection of writings from youth in a Harlem-based community organization, serving ages 7-21 "collectively exploring themselves and the world while experiencing diverse programs that fuel their minds, bodies and spirits."

No comments:

Post a Comment